Jan 15, 2009

No-Brainer Bread

I've been making this bread for quite some time now, previously posted as "No Knead Bread." The reason I'm re-posting is because I've found ways to make this bread even EASIER to make, and it's just too cool to keep to myself! And, what's cool too, is the fact that you'll only need a scant 1/2 teaspoon of yeast to make a huge loaf, and you can skip the second rise! This bread has a crispy crust with lots of nice air bubbles, and the only thing you'll need to remember is to prepare it before you go to sleep. Sweet dreams!

Makes the equivalent of 2 regular loaves- mine is just one huge one!

Ingredients:

6 C. unbleached all purpose flour (or bread flour)
1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
2 tsp. salt
3 C. lukewarm water

Spinz:

First, I prepare the inside stoneware from my large crockpot (I think any good covered pot that is oven safe can be used too). Spray the inside of it well with cooking spray (like Pam) and sprinkle a little corn meal on the bottom (optional). Then, simply mix all the ingredients in a big mixing bowl until combined (a nice sticky mess). Transfer the dough to the crock pot and leave it on the counter overnight (roughly 8 hours - I did it in 5 once, but let's say 8 just to be safe). It will have doubled in size. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and bake covered for 20 minutes; uncovered for 10 minutes or until golden. Loosen the bread from the pot by running a knife around the perimeter, plop it onto a cutting board, and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment